Porter, Frank

Inscriptions

Name recorded on Highfield War MemorialBitterne War Memorial and Southampton Cenotaph
His name was also found in the Highfield School headteachers log listed as an old boy, lost during World War 1. See Highfield School Roll of Honour.

Other Information

There are two possible identites for Frank Porter.
Birth registered for William Frank Porter, Jan-Mar 1892, South Stoneham, Vol. 2c, page 53. 
Birth registered for Frank Porter, Jan-Mar 1897, South Stoneham, Vol. 2c, page 67.

In the 1901 census a Frank Porter (b.1891, Southampton) was living with his family in Crown Street, Highfield. His father James was a plasterer. His mother was May. He had 7 siblings; Frederick (b.1885), George (b.1887), Alfred (b.1889), Bert (b.1893), Gladys (b.1895), May (b.1897) and James (b.1900).
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1068; Folio: 161; Page: 21.

In the 1901 census, Frank Porter was shown living at 228 Priory Road, St. Denys, Portswood, Hampshire. He lived with his mother, Ann M. Porter (b.1863, Scotland) who was shown as wife of the head of the family. Franks father, (James Samuel Porter) was not present. Sisters, Grace (b.193, Kent) and Sybil (b.1895, Southampton) were in school.
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1070; Folio: 53; Page: 36.
In 1911 the same family lived in a 6 roomed house at 284 Priory Road, St.Denys. His father was a prepayment collector for the gas company. His parents had been married for 20 years and had 4 children, all still living. 2 sisters were also present; Sybil May and Hilda (b.1904).

The Highfield School Roll of Honour, lists F. Porter in the Hampshire Carabiners. This was another name for the Hampshire Yeomanry, a cavalry regiment. Requirements of the war meant it dismounted and split into three regiments and in 1917, the 1st Regiment merged with the 15th Battalion to form the 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry).

According to his service records, Frank Porter served as a Private with the Yeomanry (service number 1371) and the 15th Battallion (service number 204845). He received the British and Victory medals. He was therefore not serving until 1916 at the earliest.

Marriage registered for Frank Porter to Betsy Storey, Jan-Mar 1917, Hampstead, Vol. 1a, page 1314.

He died on 23rd October 1918 of wounds received during the 5th Battle of Ypres and was buried at MOORSEELE MILITARY CEMETERY, Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 16. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission recorded his next of kin as his wife, Mrs. B. Porter, of 21, Elsworth Rd., Hampstead, London.

Comments: 
[ .. ] imply the information cannot be read on the stone and was found using another source
? represents a missing word, letter, number or phrase
Birth, Marriage & Death records obtained from Freebmd.org.uk.
For war dead the 
burial information was obtained from CWGC.org