Parishioners on The Titanic

On April 15th 1912 the Titanic sank on its maiden voyage. 5 members of the parish died and they were listed in the parish newsletter of June 1915. The names in bold are as spelled in the newsletter.

Extract from the June 1915 Parish Magazine

Frank Ernest George Coy of 134, Portswood Road
Recorded on the manifest as Francis, he was born in 1886 in Thetford, Norfolk (aged 26 at time of death), son of Francis and Ada. His father was a machine fitter and tool maker. By 1901 the family had moved to Portsmouth where his father became an engine fitter at the dockyard. He was married in Southampton (Jul-Sep) 1911.
He had been an engine fitters apprentice at the Portsmouth Dockyards before joining White Star Line to be employed on The Olympic and worked his way through the ranks. He was employed in the Titanic engine crew as a Junior Assistant 3rd Engineer and joined the Titanic for its sea trials at Belfast on April 2nd.

Thomas Davis of 2, Church Lane
Listed on the manifest as Davies, Thomas was born in Liverpool, married and died aged 33. He was employed as Leading Fireman in the Engine Crew and had previously been employed on the Olympic.

Henry Price Hodges of ‘The Cotswolds’, Highfield Lane
Henry was a 2nd class passenger and had paid £13 for his ticket. He was 50 years old (born 1862), married and a ‘musical instrument vendor’ (piano dealer). The 1901 census showed that he had 7 sons and 1 daughter. He was travelling to Boston, Mass. and had boarded the Titanic on April 10th at Southampton.

Whilst on board he had written to a friend about his experience;
“We’ve had a fine time up to now. You don’t notice anything of the movement of the ship. OK on top deck there are twenty boys marching round and singing. Others are playing cards and dominoes; some are reading and some writing. Everything is quite different to what we thought to see at sea.”

His body was recovered and is buried at Fair View Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia. He is also remembered on the gravestone of his wife (Ellen, died 12th April 1938) alongside 3 of his sons (Roland, Harold & Cyril), located in Southampton Old Cemetery.

William Alfred Jeffrey of 2, Church Lane
William was employed on the Titanic as Controller for the A la Carte restaurant and was employed by Mr Gatti, the famous restauranter who ran it, along with 2 restaurants at the Ritz.
He had previously worked on the Olympic.

Edward J. Smith of Woodhead, Winn Road
Edward Smith was the Captain of the ship. There are many well researched biographies of Captain Smith available on the internet and a few links are given below.