Monument Inscriptions

Here you will find inscriptions relating to the founding of Christ Church, Portswood, the adjacent Highfield Church Centre and a memorial to those lost in World War II.

Foundation Stone

THIS FOUNDATION STONE
OF THE PRESENT CHANCEL WAS LAID
MAY VIII MDCCCLXXVIII
THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE CHURCH WAS LAID
SEPTEMBER XII MDCCCXLVI
AND REMAINS AS THEN FIXED BENEATH THE SPOT
TRACED IN BRASS ON THE FLOOR OF THE CHANCEL

Side 2

LAID BY
ALFRED LEIGHTON McCALMONT ESQUIRE
MAYOR OF SOUTHAMPTON
IN THE PRESENCE OF THE CORPORATION

Church Centre Cornerstone

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
THIS STONE WAS LAID
BY
MRS JOHN MORLEY LEE
MAY 22ND 1907.
REV. R.A.MITCHELL VICAR.
W.MAYES.
W.M.DYER. CHURCHWARDENS.
DYER AND SONS BUILDERS. F.A.GUTTERIDGE ARCHITECT.

Church Centre Front Wall

THIS WALL WAS ERECTED IN MEMORY OF
THE REVEREND D. L. COUPER, M.A.
VICAR OF HIGHFIELD 1950-1966
TO RECORD HIS MANY CONTRIBUTIONS
TO HIGHFIELD CHURCH AND SCHOOL
AND TO THE LIFE OF THE COMMUNITY IN SOUTHAMPTON

Church (Internal memorial to 2nd World War)

ER
IN THE YEAR OF THE CORONATION OF
H-M-QUEEN ELIZABETH 11 – AD – 1953
THE EAST WINDOWS OF HIGHFIELD CHURCH
REPLACING THOSE DESTROYED BY ENEMY ACTION
WERE ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN
GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN & WOMEN
OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR OF
1939 – 1945

Church (Organ Inscription – 2nd World War)

THE ORGAN WAS RECONSTRUCTED A.D.1951
IN GRATITUDE TO GOD FOR THE PRESERVATION
OF HIGHFIELD CHURCG DURING THE SECOND
WORLD WAR OF 1939 TO 1945

South Entrance Inscription

THE INCORPORATED
CHURCH BUILDING SOCIETY
GRANTED £195, A.D. 1846 TOWARDS
BUILDING & £110, A.D. 1855
TOWARDS ENLARGING THIS
CHURCH, UPON CONDITION THAT
380 SITTINGS ARE FOR THE
FREE USE OF THE PARISHIONERS
ACCORDING TO LAW.